Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Blog One! - In the Begining

This morning I decided a fresh batch of muffins would be nice and always a crowd pleaser for the hustle and bustle of our home. Feeling a tad inventive I turned apple muffins into apple and sultana with mixed spice and cinnamon. Although I enjoy life at fast pace and find it hard to relax, baking has always had a soothing affect on me. To me the idea of creating something so tasty and sweet from raw ingredients’ that on their own are so tasteless is so fascinating.

The influence on my love for baking began when I was under bench height, spending time with my grandma. I remember being in her kitchen especially on Sundays, in the middle of winter, standing on the bottom draw, that held her pinnys and tea towels, just so I could see over the bench and into the bowl, where my fingers would wonder into the mix, just so I could sneak a taste and lick it of. She would always let me stir, I think it was just to save time and mess, I still to this day seem to get more flour and sugar on the floor and over the bench when transferring it from the packet to the bowl. Once in the oven, she would always set the timer, it was one you could watch click around as the minutes past by. Standing in orr of the rising mounds, the smell that filled the air, was enough to make the 15 minutes or so seem like a life time, but the melting cream and strawberry jam on top always made it worth the wait.

Cakes, slices, muffins, biscuits, she’s a master at filling the cupboards with irresistible goodies!



The edmonds cook place is where I go to look for most of the recipes that i like to bake. It is a great adition to any kitchen.

“Cooking has many functions, and only one of them is about feeding people. When we go into a kitchen, indeed when we even just think about going into a kitchen, we are both creating and responding to an idea we hold about ourselves, about what kind of person we are or wish to be. How we eat and what we eat lies at the heart of who we are as – individuals, families, communities”

Nigella Lawson, (2004). P.vii

No comments:

Post a Comment