Monday, October 24, 2011

Blog Five! - Independence at last!...

I was at work yesterday and my client and I were popping around to help a friend with her garden. It had become more that of a jungle over winter and with study, work and kids it was at the bottom of her list. Before we left I said I would do some scones to take. In my family we have always been taught not to turn up empty handed, I think it was my great grandmother’s influence as all the woman in my family still abide by this.

Recipe book out, this was the first time I had ever been left to make scones on my own. I started to chat to myself, in my head of course ‘I’m going to put you scones in your place, you will be perfect and you will taste great!”. Although I had never made them before I felt intituled to a sense of mastery, I had watched them being made so many times before in my grandmothers kitchen as a child every Sunday.

Wanting to get going as quick as possible, I took to it like a pro, however, I did notice my thoughts wondering, as they always seem to when I bake. Assignments was all I could think about, I was almost robotic, a loss of consciousness to the present.

Scones in the oven 12 minutes to spare It shocks me every time I have something in the oven, eve for that short amount of time, I kick into over drive and see it as a window of opportunity to get those little niggly jobs done. Load of washing hung out, fresh sheets on the bed, bathroom wiped and mopped, newspaper in and finished at the sink doing the dishes, although that was interrupted by the buzzer going off.

"Much may be done in those little shreds and patches of time which every day produces, and which most men throw away.“ – Charles Caleb Colton (Meier, 2009)

Out came mounds of deliciousness. Although scones are not the prettiest creation, they are always a crowd pleaser and man do they taste good with a bit of jam!


Meier, J. (2009, August 24). Sources of Insight. Retrieved October 26, 2011, from http://sourcesofinsight.com/time-management-quotes/

No comments:

Post a Comment