Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Blog Four! - My thoughts on Spirituality and Baking...

Nothing is as exciting as the preparation done for a birthday party, but none more so important than a 21st. Mine is still 5 months away and I have already planned and booked my cake maker. It is going to be the focal point of my party. I have always envisioned this amazing themed cake for my 21st ever since my uncle had an orange boat for his 12 years ago. It seems that momentous occasions are often marked by the cutting of a cake. To me baking and spirituality is linked through the times such as birthdays and weddings, cakes are the centre piece.

Crepeau (2007) defines spirituality as “the fundamental orientation of a person’s life; that which inspires and motivates that individual".

Specifically linking to my own experience with spirituality and baking, birthdays in our household are always marked by a family gathering and the cutting of a cake. Although the cakes are nothing to extravagant, they are always homemade and with the person in mind.


The most memorable cake I have had thus far was a cake my mother made me for my first holy communion when I was 8. It was a fruit cake in the shape of a cross, with white icing and piped icing trim. After the church ceremony, which I had a beautiful white dress made for me also by my mother, we had a family lunch where I cut the cake with everyone important to me present. By having a hobby such as baking, where I feel a spiritual link, I feel I am able to keep a holistic, balanced approach to my life.


This link below is to a blog on spiritual well being and having a balanced life. I found it really interesting and quiet reflective of my own life.

http://www.casapalmera.com/articles/spiritual-well-being/

Crepau, E., Cohn, E., Boyt Schell, B., Willard, H., & Spackman, C. (2007). Willard and Stockman's occupational therapy. USA: Lippencott, Williams & Wilkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment